Honk Honk

Honk Honk

Saturday, January 29, 2011

You actually can take the ghetto out of the girl

So you know that old saying "you can take the girl out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the girl".  Well I beg to differ.  Last year I worked in a terrible school with kids who were just completely off the hook school wide.  It was pure hell.  It was definitely in the ghetto.  I now work in a very affluent neighborhood with a great school...a mile and a half away from my old school.  That's right, a mile and a half.  It's mind boggling.

There is a student at my new school that I actually taught last year at my old school in the ghetto.  She was insanely rotten last year and would constantly get in fights on the playground and cuss everyone out.  This year she is at my new school and you would be amazed at how night and day she is.  She is truly a different girl and amazing!  I always knew she had the potential, but being surrounded by bad examples was never going to help for her.

I feel very strongly that when there are horrible schools like mine from last year, it would be in the best interest of the students to close the school and split the students up into a variety of other schools where there are lots of strong kids academically and behaviorally to be a good influence on them.

My old student is living proof.

No comments: